Monday, May 31, 2010

Some Gave It All...


Today is Memorial Day...a day that has morphed into a holiday that "brings in" summertime. Most people have a day off work in exchange for some BBQ and pool-time. I honestly think that, as a nation, we have made a cheap exchange. We don our red, white & blue never once really thinking about what makes those colors special.

My Dad is a very patriotic man...serving his country as a communications specialist in the Army. And I guess I give my Dad the credit for making me aware of those special folks who paid the ultimate price. I regularly get a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye when I see soldiers in uniform, a documentary on television or anything patriotic. But that's a good feeling...one that I don't want to go away.

We live in a small town and parades down Broad Street are still a norm. The Memorial Day parade brings out men and women to represent those who gave it all for our nation. I had to work today so my parents took Ab and Aa downtown to pay tribute to those brave men and women. It's the only parade that we regularly attend. Parking is never an issue, nor is finding a good place to put down your chair for a good view...what a shame. You dress up a fat man in a red suit and fake beard, put a bunch of rednecks on the back of a pickup truck for a parade and you can't find a place to park or sit...even in the rain and cold...Hmmmm...What a shame...

Thank you to all those who fought for, and still fight for, my freedom...I do appreciate it and so will my children...I will make sure of that...

Here are 2 great posts that are a tribute to those who have fallen. See Sojourn and Lots of Scotts.

No comments: