Father/Daughter Dance 2007My baby girl is growing up...but I don't just mean in height or weight (however, she is gaining on me everyday)! I am amazed daily by comments and/or questions she raises and how knowledgable she is about the world around her. Since she was 4 years old she has attended a school that teaches the students to look at the world through the lens of the Bible. Test everything with scripture. Even as a family, for the last couple of years, we have taken a more direct position on consciously doing this very thing...folks, it is truly amazing how differently things look. I know that probabaly a few of my readers are now eyeing that red X button in the corner, but hear me out. I know that the world probably looks at us as odd and backward as to the way we have chosen to raise our children. But that's ok. We take very seriously the mandate that God gave Abraham in Genesis 18:17-19. The Message version puts it simply, "Then God said, "Shall I keep back from Abraham what I'm about to do? Abraham is going to become a large and strong nation; all the nations of the world are going to find themselves blessed through him. Yes, I've settled on him as the one to train his children and future family to observe God's way of life, live kindly and generously and fairly, so that God can complete in Abraham what he promised him." God settled on D & myself for this honor of training our children to observe God's way of life. WOW, have you ever really, really thought about the honor and responsibility bestowed on us by God the Father as parents to raise our children in a Godly manner. All we have to do is take a look around and see where the world's way of thinking has gotten them...thanks but no thanks...I'll just continue to be looked at as odd, curious, weird, or whatever adjective someone may tag us with. I'll look upward for my affirmation.
But back to my daughter. Ab has always been under the umbrella of teaching at a school that reinforces what she is taught at home. She has really never known any different...and I wouldn't have it any other way. It seems that her world, absolutely and in no uncertain terms, is centered on doing the right thing. And I don't think that "she is just wired that way" or she is just a "good kid". I truly believe that the education she has received in her school, as well as the reinforcement she receives at home and our church, has and will continue to mold her thinking. The principles we teach our children in our home are reinforced at school. We are so blessed to have a school that works with us, not against us, in shaping our children into the men and women of God they will be. How critical it is in this day and age that our children know how to think outside of what the world reveals to them as "truth". Our kids could go to a school that has many more extracurricular activities, many more students, super nice facilities, etc...But when we look at the grand scheme of life...that's just stuff that has no lasting value to my children. It is very self gratifying and tangible as a parent...right now...but down the road when my kids stand in the face of what someone tells them is truth and they can intelligently put them in their place...that nice building or computers in every classroom, etc...won't carry much weight. When she steps out into this world on her own, she will be armed with the Word and know how to think for herself. She will know why she believes what she believes. She will be able to intelligently discuss truth...biblically, politcally, and morally.
Only in the last couple of years have I been freed from the bondage of just accepting what pastors, teachers, etc...say is truth. I am seeing the Word in a whole new light. I spent about 42 years of my life with "tinted lens". My children won't be subjected to that mentality. I am so thankful for a church and a school where the pastor, teachers, principals, assistant pastors, children's pastors, SS teachers, etc...will say at the end of a sermon, math lesson, Bible lesson, literature lesson, etc..."you don't have to take my word for it...search the scriptures for yourself." Ab is growing in grace daily and I am so thankful that she is surrounded by individuals who pour into her daily. Ab is growing into a beautiful, intelligent woman of God who is being taught from every angle to look at her world through the lens of the Bible.
"God, help me to take your mandate upon my life as a parent seriously...to not get caught up in what the world has to offer...those things that are shinier, nicer, and all neatly packaged. Help me to always have clear vision of what's inside that neat package. I don't want to get mesmorized or taken in by the glitz, the bows, etc...It truly is what's inside that matters to me and the family you have blessed and entrusted me with."
2 comments:
G and I were just talking about your sweet daughter last night! We have the blessing of getting to spend time with the kids at Summit. She is the real deal---I can tell her faith is genuine! What a blessing!
Thank you so much M...we are very proud of her and try very hard to instill in our kids genuineness (spelling??). Thanks to both of you for all you do for our kids at church and school...we appreciate it so much and know the sacrifices you make...
Post a Comment