I chose for us to go to a nearby resort that has the world's largest canopy zip lines! She and I are (were) both afraid of heights. So I knew this would be a good choice that we could conquer together...kinda like these teen years coming upon us.
We were both scared to death on Saturday morning before that first zip. With just a couple of tears in her eyes, I whispered into her ear as we waited in the treehouse, "Baby, that cable and harness is your lifeline...as long as you hold onto that you will be alright...just like the next challenging teen years...God is your lifeline...hold onto Him and Mom & Dad will also be right behind you, just like I am on this zip line, close by, facing right along with you whatever challenges come our way." At that point, she stepped off the treehouse...sailing away from me. I knew there was nothing I could do for her...but I wasn't worried because she was holding on for dear life to that harness...her lifeline.
There were so many analogies with the program and our adventure that I could never mention them all. It was a weekend orchestrated by God that I honestly believe changed both of our lives forever.
We concluded our weekend with a nice dinner and I presented her with a purity ring. As I gave her the ring, I explained to her that the ring was 60 years old. It had been her Great Grandmother's wedding band...handed down to each generation. It had 3 stones and I explained to her that the middle stone represented God, the right stone represented her parents and the left stone represented the husband that God had for her. This ring gave her three reasons to maintain her boundaries and keep her life and mind pure in every way. And most importanly to keep God first and foremost in her life.
I know one day she will step off that treehouse ledge and sail away from me...and I won't be jumping off behind her this time. That ring on her left hand will be put away in safe keeping for her future daughter and replaced by one from her husband. At that point he will be right there with her...both of them holding on tight to that harness as their lifeline..
Peace...
No comments:
Post a Comment