Both sides of mine and D's families have been through some pretty 'heavy stuff' this year. Serious health issues have plagued our family. And I think that many times it is in those times that we realize just what we have to be thankful for. I am very thankful that my Mom was able to fix a big Thanksgiving dinner this year...I am very thankful that my Father-in-law was able to be with us this holiday in spite of not feeling well. These are things that I think I may have taken for granted in the past. However, I have come to realize that family is the most important thing we have next to our relationship with the Most High. My Mom has fixed Thanksgiving dinner most everyone of my 43 years and I have spent the holiday with my father-in-law all 20 years of my married life with the exception of 2 years. But yet this year was special in an unusual way. I realized that everyday that we have with each other is a blessing. Life on earth is very fragile and can be swept away in the blink of an eye. In the past year I have seen how quickly life can change. My son's teacher began the school year excited about her class and all the challenges she would meet and exceed with each individual child. She won the chili cook-off contest at the first PTSO meeting. She came back the day after labor day to work and didn't feel well. That day I saw her walk down the hall with my son...that was also the last day I saw her alive. Within a couple of three weeks, she was in heaven with her Saviour. Life can change so fast. I thought of that family this morning as I looked around at my family. I realized how sad Mrs. T's family must be today. Not sad that she is in heaven but sad because they have a hole in their hearts...sad because she wasn't there sitting around the table enjoying family. We never know what tomorrow holds. My priorities have changed a lot in the last year.
Family...that's what will be left standing when all else is gone...when we are lying on our death bed, I doubt very seriously if we will be thinking about what kind of car we have been driving, what kind of really nice clothes we are wearing, or how nice my house is...I'll be calling on my Jesus and my family for love and support. That is what will bring me comfort and support. Those 'material things' cannot love and comfort me. I just imagine that Mrs. T's family would have given up every worldly possession they had if they could have had just one more Thanksgiving together.
Thank you God for my family...next to you Father, they are the most important thing in my life. You gave them to me, handpicked even before I ever left my mother's womb. Thank you for one more Thanksgiving day with my family. May I keep an attitude of gratitude each day that you give me the air to breath and that I would keep my priorities in order, never losing sight of You...
Blessings to all...
No comments:
Post a Comment